Friday, September 3, 2010

Final week of orientation

Shopping experience:
On Tuesday, we took a trip to the Government building of Honduras. We met so many people who were honestly trying to do a good job of changing Honduras for the better. I still wasn’t feeling 100%, so it was very hard to pay attention to all the things they had to say in Spanish. One lesson that we learned was that we are supposed to be careful while in Honduras, but not live in fear while here. I think this is really good advice for everyone. We do have to be careful, but not so much an extent that it cripples us. I have never really been into government things, but they were very proud when they showed us how far they have come in the past few years, especially along the lines of technology. They now have a voting system that lets votes remain anonymous if it comes to that. When I first found out that we were going to go to the government building, I assumed that it would be this gorgeous building, but it was less magnificent than I expected, but I think that made me feel a bit more content that the government isn’t using the money to fix their building that already has water and electricity, but maybe are going to use it to help those that really need it, like our guide said. When we were done with our tour, we walked out the main entrance and I am not sure if there was a protest going on, but there were people shouting things in megaphones and some Honduran soldiers with shields and guns. It was actually pretty scary just walking in between rifles, even though they were probably just for protection.
Wednesday, we had class again where we got to discuss finer points of grammar (YEAH!). I love learning about how a language work, so it was a really fun class for me. Afterwards, Tessa, Christina and I walked to Little Caesar’s Pizza and split a hot and ready. I was the one who ordered and when I said I wanted the four cinnamon sticks, she though I wanted four orders of eight cinnamon sticks. I was wondering why it was so expensive when she realized what had happened. Afterwards,  we went to La Colonia, a small grocery store on the way home from school because I had to buy an umbrella, a tank top (because my dog ate mine), and some rehydration liquid (think something along the lines of Pedialyte). So we  walked in the store, looking for the medicine isle. We found it, but turns out that everything is in Spanish (surprise surprise) and I don’t know any of diseases that these drugs promise to help. So, a kind woman offers to help us find what we are looking for. She told us that we had to go to the pharmacy instead, so we walked over to the pharmacy. I didn’t actually know the name of the medicine that I was looking for, but I knew it was Pedialyte for adults, which I told the woman. She just laughed and got me what I needed. Christina then asked for the same plus some Pepto Bismol. She laughed again when I told her we were new to Honduras. I’m guessing she figured that out already.
Thursday, we took a trip to the US embassy and it was the first time we were allowed to speak English to anyone. It was so weird being able to understand EVERYTHING! Now I know where to go if the police are after me or I lose my passport or something like that happens. Many different people told us what they were doing to make a difference in Honduras and how they were working so hard, but it always seemed like no matter what, the US was the one who benefitted. One person even said that the sweatshops are good for the Hondurans because it teaches them how to have a job- how to get up on time and work hard. I just wanted to tell her that most Hondurans wake up at four or five in the morning, and work their butts off until late at night and earn very little. I was actually pretty upset that she thinks that by the United States taking advantage of people, we are doing them a favor.
Well, a little bit of random non-Honduras news. Kooba and I have changed the wedding date to August 19, 2011. I have a lot of planning to do and a lot of things to figure out, but will do most of that when I get back from the Netherlands. So far, I have the colors, flowers, dress, and a reception hall and that seems pretty much like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment